Sunday, November 7, 2010

Music and Me

Music has always been a big part of my life. When i was younger, I was surrounded by music and music lovers - my brothers, my cousins and the person who influenced me the most- my dad. Most that know me, knew that my dad was a wonderful singer and I inherited a "little bit" of  that talent. I grew up listening to the 1950's and 60's and I remember my dad would sing and listen to his music so loud continuously all day to Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, and Dean Martin songs. In the 1980's, my cousins and my brothers were my biggest influence. I grew up listening to their music too, but I was more into the new wave genre and pop and jazz was their thing. This was also the time where i started to practice a lot of singing (mostly in the bathroom, just like my dad). My type of music geared towards alternative rock when the 90's came and the only radio station specifically played that category was NU107. I listened to New Order, Siouxie and the Banshees, Morrissey, Gene Loves Jezebel, and then Cranberries-which is my all time favorite, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.. My brothers never really  liked  hearing them. Even though my taste for  music was different, I still  adored listening to all sorts. I sang a lot. Went to sleep with the radio on, awoke- still with the radio on, not a day has passed without music in my head literally because I had a radio casette player placed above my head in my bed.

But, after college- my life became busier. I became a mom. The whole obsession for loud-music became difficult to do. I no longer had the time to sing as much as I wanted to. Music seemed to slipped away from me- the only songs I knew and repeatedly sang were baby songs and humming sounds I invented in my head. I'm not saying that I lost my love for music because of motherhood- it was always there, huge part of me, but i wasn't embracing it as much as I had in the past. I realized too, after you give birth, there is  a tendency for  your voice to change because mine got lower and it was frustrating not to be able to sing higher notes anymore- thus, my love for Carpenters. Eventually I stopped trying, I stopped singing, but I didn't stop appreciating the evolution of music.

And now as i think back and reminisce the good old days and all the men in  my life who contributed to my love for music and singing, i realized that music can love you back. When you hear that certain song you liked so much, it can take you away and bring you back to that special place where you felt that special feeling forever etched in your heart. Melody and rhythm can uplift your spirits. A song can comfort you when you are in your darkest moments. Lyrics can explain what you cannot say to someone. Music brings people together.. I married someone who loves to sing too and I envy his ability to sing high-pitched songs. It also goes without saying, I am blessed with talented girls who each has the heart for music. It's a whole new generation of music for me once again and I am absolutely digging it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment