Sunday, November 7, 2010

Music and Me

Music has always been a big part of my life. When I was younger I was surrounded by music and music lovers - my brothers, my cousins, and the person who influenced me the most, my dad. Those who know me know that my dad was a wonderful singer and I inherited a little bit of that talent. I grew up listening to 1950s and '60s music. My dad would listen so loudly and repeatedly all throughout the day to Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, and Dean Martin and I would get so embarrassed because my neighbors could hear them. In the '80s, my cousins and brothers were my biggest influence. They were into pop and jazz and I grew up listening to their music too but I don't know why I didn't like it as much or felt excited listening to these genres. I chose to listen to New Wave and appreciated the sound in a much more profound way. This was also the time where I started to practice a lot of singing- mostly in the bathroom just like my dad. My type of music geared towards Alternative Rock during the '90s. The only radio station specifically played this genre was NU107. I listened to The Smiths, New Order, Siouxie, and the Banshees, Morrissey, Gene Loves Jezebel, The Cranberries, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.. My brothers didn't like hearing much of it. Maybe hated it even. Although my taste for music was different, I still adored listening to all sorts. I sang a lot growing up. I went to sleep with the radio on, awoke still with the radio on. Not a day passed without music in my head literally because I had a radio cassette player placed above my head in my bed.

After college my love for music took a hiatus because my life changed. I became a mom. A very young mother. The whole obsession for loud music became difficult to do. I no longer had the time to sing as much as I want to. My favorite music seemed to slip away from me. The only songs I sang over and over were baby songs and humming sounds I invented in my head. I'm not saying I lost my love for music because of motherhood, it was always there but I wasn't embracing it as much as I had in the past. I realized too that childbirth can change your voice because mine got deeper - like two musical notes down, and it got so frustrating and sad because I can't sing higher notes anymore. And then suddenly I just stopped singing. I stopped trying. But it didn't stop me from listening and appreciating the evolution of music

And now as I think back and reminisce about the good old days and all the men in my life who contributed to my love for music and singing, I realized that music can love you back. When you hear that certain song you liked so much, it can take you away and bring you back to that special place where you felt that special feeling forever etched in your heart. Melody and Rythm can uplift your spirits. A song can comfort you at your darkest moments. Lyrics can express what you cannot say to someone. Music brings people together. I married someone who loves to sing too and I envy his ability to sing high-pitched songs. It also goes without saying, I am blessed with talented girls who each have the heart for music. It's a whole new generation for me once again and I am absolutely loving music all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment